Fedele and Murray, P.C.

17 Walpole Street, Norwood, MA 02062-3318 - (781) 551-5900

Restraining Orders

Unfortunately, for far too many individuals, there are issues of violence or the threat of violence. For an individual who is abused or threatened with abuse, that individual may seek a restraining order either from the District Court or the Probate and Family Court as provided by Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 209A.This statute allows a person suffering from abuse from a family or household member to file a complaint requesting protection from that abuse. This type of proceeding is a civil rather than a criminal proceeding. However, a restraining order can have criminal penalties. Abuse is defined in the statute as any of the following occurrences between family members:

Return to Family Law